Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Editor

E is for editor

Words, words, words! My interest in how to use them—and how not to use thembegan when I was taught "proper" grammar in grade school. My earliest memory of "fixing" copy is when I was about 10 years old. At breakfast, I would look for grammatical errors on cereal boxes. (Did that make me a nerd?)

I went from fixing words on cereal boxes to positions editing legal and then scientific documents and on to editing quilting publications. Legal stuff was stodgy (if you have ever read a contract all the way through, you get my drift). Scientific stuff was tedious (imagine proofing complicated equations).

But, quilting stuff, it's wonderful! My passion for quilting plus a love of words equals a perfect fit!
 
My first quilt-related editorial job was with Quiltmaker magazine as a pattern developer.

So, you ask, "what exactly is that?" Well, in a "nutshell," I take someone's original design, figure out patch sizes, determine yardage needs, write how-to instructions, and confer with a graphic artist on how-to illustrations that are required.

P.S. This magazine is the "sister" publication to Quilter's Newsletter. I was SO fortunate to work at Leman Publications before Bonnie Leman, founder of both magazines, retired. May she rest in peace (born Sept. 28, 1926 and passed Sept. 4, 2010).

Since 2000 I've been freelancing, mostly for quilting magazines and books. Among my assignments was developing a pattern for my original design, "Nell's Garden." It was published in the 2007 issue of Quilter's Newsletter's Quilt It for Keepsakes magazine.

"Nell's Garden" is made from 1930's reproduction fabrics. It has a flower basket block and a 16-patch block of triangles. The curved border is embellished with appliqued flowers and Prairie Points.

The design is in memory of my great aunt's garden on the family homestead in Arvada, Colorado. Her parents bought the land in the early 1900's, and it was in the family until the early 1990's

For American Quilters Society, I've copy edited and wrote patterns for two books: 

3 Quilters Celebrate the 4 Seasons by Karen Combs, Bethany Reynolds, and Joan Shay

A combination of Karen's illusion, Bethany's kaleidoscope, and Joan's applique techniques result in stunning quilts.

As I worked on this book, I knew I had to explore their techniques. The first one I tried was Bethany's Stack-n-Whack®. And then I went on to make another. It might be addictive!  



Peeled-Back Patchwork: Curves Without Piecing by Annette Ornelas

This was Annette's first book, and I found her a delight to work with!

In the intro, she says, "This technique makes it possible for quilters of all skill levels to do straight-line patchwork piecing with curved results."

You can learn more about Annette at www.southwindsquilts.com.


I've also copy edited and proofread American Quilter's Ultimate Projects magazine published in 2003. 

The project on the cover is by Faye Anderson (my neighbor, kinda—like myself, she lives in Colorado). The technique is called "Self Portrait: Puzzle-Pieced Fused Applique." It's another of those projects thats in-waiting for me. So, I'm glad I pulled out this issue. It'll stay out as a reminder to "just do it!"




I've worn many hats: editor, pattern developer, proofreader (fact checker), and writer.

For Quilter's Home, I've been pattern developer and proofreader/fact checker. (Update: QH ceased publication the summer of 2011).

Recently, I wrote an article for another-I-can't-tell-you-yet-who magazine. I'll share that when the article is published in 2011! (Update: the article about "Grannie Suzannie," a motorcycle-riding and belly-dancing quilter was published in the spring of 2011.)

And, like most freelancers, I'm always looking for the next publication that needs me to wear one of my hats!

No comments:

Post a Comment